Iowa public schools taught me most of what I know. I attended elementary school, junior high school, and high school in the Iowa City Community School District, and I am a proud graduate of the University of Iowa. Our public education system transforms children into citizens and is supposed to make sure that every Iowan has the chance to pursue the American Dream.
As a proud product of Iowa public schools, I was appalled by Republican cuts to both the K-12 growth rate and the slashing of tens of millions of dollars from our higher education system.
My priorities include:
- Innovative Education — Exploring new approaches to innovation for the twenty-first-century economy.
- Affordable Tuition — Fighting to keep tuition affordable.
- College Readiness — Making sure all Iowa high school graduates are college-ready and prepared to complete their studies.
- Universal Pre-K Education — Universally accessible preschool is a critical part of protecting equal opportunity for all Iowans.
- Don’t Arm Teachers — I almost can’t believe I have to put this on my website now, but here we are. Forcing teachers to carry firearms in their classroom will make school shootings worse, not better.
Instead, Republicans are focused on preventing our K-12 system from growing and are raising the price of tuition, which will put hopes of attending a four-year college out of reach for many. Further, I will oppose voucher programs, education savings accounts and other attempts to privatize our public school system that shortchange Iowa teachers and students.
We have a moral responsibility to make education better and more accessible.